The employment law attorneys at Hardy Erich Brown & Wilson represent California employers, including public entities, medical groups, homeowners associations, and private educational institutions, in all aspects of the practice, including litigation defense and prevention, as well as advice and counseling. The firm has also represented officers, directors, presidents, and other high-level employees with respect to employment contracts and related issues.
Employment law has become a highly specialized area of the law, particularly in California where employers must comply with a multitude of employee-protective laws and regulations and where the courts have produced a vast amount of nuanced case law. It is essential that employers facing litigation are represented by experts who are knowledgeable about both the substantive law as well as litigation strategies which are most effective in defeating employee claims and minimizing settlement amounts.
Hardy Erich Brown & Wilson handles a wide variety of state and federal employment litigation, including appeals, and has experience litigating claims involving:
- Wrongful Termination
- Employment Discrimination
- Harassment/Hostile Work Environment
- California Fair Housing and Employment Act (FEHA)
- Federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- Title VII
- Wage and Hour
- Meal and Rest Breaks
- Overtime Pay
- Exemptions/Misclassification of Non-Exempt Employees
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- California Family Rights Act (CFRA)
- California Pregnancy Disability Leave (PDL)
- Meyers-Milias-Brown Act
- Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs)
- Workers' Compensation Retaliation (Labor Code § 132a)
- Workers' Compensation - Serious and Willful Misconduct (Labor Code § 4551)
- Collateral Issues related to Employee Benefits
In addition to handling trials and appeals, the firm also advises and represents employers in connection with alternative dispute resolution proceedings, including mediations and arbitrations.
Advice & Counseling
California and federal law consist of a myriad of overlapping employment laws and regulations that pose liability hazards to employers at every turn, making them easy targets for meritless claims. Taking preventative measures, such as properly handling employee complaints and discipline and making sure personnel policies are consistently enforced are crucial to preventing and minimizing exposure to employment lawsuits.
Hardy Erich Brown & Wilson provides employers with advice and counseling services, including litigation prevention, on a wide array of state and federal employment issues. In addition to the employment issues already discussed, the firm also counsels employers on issues including:
- Employer-Employee Relations
- Employee Handbooks / Personnel Polices
- Medical Leave/Sick Days
- Vacation Policies
- Employment Applications
- Hiring Decisions
- Employment Agreements
- Performance Problems/Progressive Discipline Policies
- Accommodations/Interactive Process for Disabled Employees
- Investigation of Employee Complaints of Discrimination, Harassment & Retaliation
- Collateral Issues related to Employee Benefits, including COBRA
- Non-Compete Agreements related to Trade Secrets and Intellectual Property
For experienced employment law attorneys, contact Hardy Erich Brown & Wilson.